30 SEPT, 2020. In this fifth article in the eight-part series on the St Louis School’s Handbook of Education, we look at how we can live Sint Unum through education. Published in 2008, the St Louis Handbook of Education offers a framework for the education that takes place within our schools and beyond. For Louis Bautain, founder of the Institute of St Louis in 1842, education was a way of fulfilling Sint Unum, “That we may be One”, (John 17:21). As an educator, Bautain sought to live Sint Unum, by inviting people to work towards a “world healed, unified and transformed”. It is so lovely to see that, in 2020 and throughout the world, there are visible signs of this motto on both school walls and classroom materials, as well as on the uniforms worn by the students.
28 JULY, 2020. Four sisters live in our remotest community in Ewulu, Delta State, Nigeria, where they manage the Louis Bautain Farm, growing and harvesting palm fruit and cassava, rearing pigs, and having a catfish farm, among other things. Times have been particularly difficult for the sisters and the wider Ewulu community during the Covid-19 pandemic.
29 JUN, 2020. In this fourth article in the eight-part series on the St Louis School’s Handbook of Education, we look at St Louis Day, which is celebrated on August 25, and is a day in which the Sisters of St Louis remember their Patron Saint, St Louis, King of France. It is also a day to celebrate what it means to be a Sister of St Louis and a member of the St Louis Family. The St Louis Handbook for Schools gives us resources for celebrating St Louis day. This article shares why St Louis is celebrated as our patron and the values and virtues that we can learn from St Louis as members of the St Louis Family. It also shares some of the resources contained in the St Louis Handbook for Schools, to help them celebrate St Louis Day.
28 JULY, 2020. On Saturday, June 20, the Sisters and Associates of Saint Louis held their first online international meeting on Zoom. About 80 people attended from Brazil, Ghana, Ireland, Nigeria and the United States. The gathering provided attendees the opportunity to meet their colleagues from other countries - many for the first time - and this was highly appreciated by all. The consensus was that our meeting was a significant success and that we should continue to hold them in the future.
28 MAY, 2020. The AAVE Group in Goiânia, Brazil, were left without income following the lockdown of Goiás state on March 19 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Co-founded in 1995 by Margaret Hosty SSL, the AAVE Group work with people living with HIV/AIDS. Following lockdown, the group had to find alternate ways that they could continue to support their clients.
More Articles ...
- In solidarity with the poor of Ghana through the stormy Covid-19 pandemic
- Covid-19 affects Bakhita Empowerment Centre for victims of human trafficking in Lagos, Nigeria
- St Louis School’s Handbook Series, Part 3. St Louis Crest – The Logo of all St Louis Schools
- Cocooning in Knock
- How the St Louis Schools are coping during the Covid-19 crisis
- St Louis School’s Handbook Series, Part 2. Importance of education to the founders of the Sisters of St Louis
- Sisters of St Louis Extended Leadership Meeting (ELM) takes place in Ireland
- New series of articles on the St Louis School’s handbook to be published
- Monaghan Associates support the Laudato Tree Project
- Sisters celebrate Christmas Day in Dawhan, Ethiopia, on January 6!